Monsieur L’Artiste and Familiar of the Order of Courtoise Mannerists, Vitaliy Yermolaev is one of the most gifted representatives of ‘the gallant art’ of late XX – early XXI century.
Vitaliy Yermolaev’s art is a breakthrough into the way of life, morals and manners of those who lived three centuries ago. Since 1990 the Artist has been creating paintings that appeal exclusively to XVIII century. His art is saturated with reminiscences of the times of Peter and Paul, Elizabeth and Katherine - with hedonism and farce nature of these times, and a bizarre combination of baroque and rococo elements.
His paintings are characterized by theatricality, love for performance, luminous color scheme.
Vitaliy Yermolaev creates the world of his own, building on the traditions of ‘Mir Iskusstva” – but he is driven by hedonism and irony rather than symbolism and nostalgia.
Longing for carnival, elegant ‘far niente’ and artistry of life, talent to ‘orchestrate’ revelry – all these have brought together the Artist and poets of the Order of Courtoise Mannerists.
Vitaliy Yermolaev is bravely synthesizing historical epochs, striking the audience with surprising finds that only ‘the great combinator’ is capable of. One cannot but be amazed by the Artist’s distinctive humor that allow to intermingle a quotation and an improvisation into Anacreonic revelry and bacchanalia.
Oksana Vdovenko, Arts critic
Born in 1962 in Moscow.
Graduated from Moscow Surikov Art School in 1980 and Departament of Art of Moscow State College of Cinematography in 1986.
Has entered Youth section of Moscow branch of Artist Association in 1989.
A member of the International Art Fund since 1998.
The winner of competition of a name of Victor Popkov for 2005.
The basic exhibitions:
1.19-n the Youth exhibition. TheArtist’s House in Kuznetskyi Most.Moscow.
2. The All-Russia exhibition of artists of theatre and cinema. Makhachkala.
3. Exhibition - auction "Doroteum". Vienna. Austria.
4. 7-n the Zone exhibition. Manege. Moscow.
5. Autumn exhibition . The Artist’s House in Kuznetskyi Most . Moscow.
6. The Moscow exhibition of artists of theatre and cinema. The Artist’s House in Kuznetskyi Most.Moscow.
7. 20-n the Youth exhibition. The Artist’s House in Kuznetskyi Most.Moscow
8. An exhibition « the Gold brush - 94 » .The Central Artist’s House. Moscow.
9. 1-n the Personal exhibition. Gallery " Panorama " .Moscow.
10. 2-n the Personal exhibition. Gallery " Victoria " Kiev.
11. An exhibition of " 100 years of cinema » .Central Artist’s House. Moscow.
12. 2-n an exhibition of the International Art Fund.The Central Artist’s House. Moscow.
13. « Courtoise Mannerism and gallant festivals » Central Artist’s House.Moscow.
14. "Maestro" (From the Baroque up to Courtoise Mannerism) Central Artist’s House.Moscow.
13. A personal exhibition. A showroom of the Union of artists. Kaluga.
14. A personal exhibition. Manor Mon Repo. Vyborg.
15. A personal exhibition. Valentine Rjabova's gallery. Moscow.
16. A personal exhibition. A showroom « Peresvetov a lane” Moscow.
17. A personal exhibition. The central House of the Actor. Moscow.
18. “Art Manege”-97.
19. The Art - Salon-98. Manege.Moscow.
20. An exhibition in the Russian center of Culture. Berlin. Germany.
21. “Art Manege”-98.
22. An exhibition "Intermuseum-99" .Expo-Center .Moscow.
23. A personal exhibition in gallery " Expoart " The Central Artist’s House.
24. A personal exhibition. Museum - manor "Kuskovo".
25. Art Manege-2002.
26. An exhibition « 300 years to Saint Petersburg » .House the Governments of the Russian Federation.
27. A personal exhibition in the Moscow Mayoralty.
28. « The Exhibition of painting and a sculpture » The Artit’s House in Kuznetskyi Most.Moscow
29. 2-n exhibition - competition of a name of Victor Popkova. The Bulgarian cultural center. Moscow.
30. “Art Manege” 2004
31. « The History of Russia in persons » Council of Federation. Moscow.
32. 3-n exhibition - competition of a name of Victor Popkova.
33. “Art Manege” 2005
34. A personal exhibition in the State showroom « Peresvetov a lane » Moscow.
35. An exhibition of winners of competition of a name of Victor Popkova. The house of the Government of the Russian Federation.
36. A personal exhibition in museum - manor "Arkhangelskoe"
37. An exhibition « the Historical picture in modern painting » (with T.Nazarenko, S.Gavriljachenko, I.Mashkov) « Peresvetov a lane » Moscow.
38. An exhibition devoted to the 400-anniversary of canonization of tsarevitch Dimitrija. The state art museum. Uglich.
Works by Vitali Ermolaev are: the Art museum Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Private collections of the USA, Canada, Germany, Austria, Czech, Switzerland, Norway, Spain, Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Poland.